Welcome to Pit bull New Mexico, updated every Wednesday & Saturday, comments and suggestions are encouraged.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Check this out!





These videos are from a group of Brazilians that operate under the moniker, "SPA Dogs." Weight pull, Long Jump, Vertical Jump, and (my favorite) Vertical Climb seem to be a staple at their events. (I threw in the tree climbing video just for fun.) I believe these competitions are common throughout South and Latin America; which makes me wonder if there are any groups in North America hosting this kind of stuff? If anyone has any information on Americans or Canadians putting on these events, please contact me at nobslnm@yahoo.com.


That said, I have made it known to my pit bull friends that I would like to get these types of events going in my neck of the woods; fortunately, I have a young pup coming up that should do just fine in all of it . As to be expected, I have had several friends offer their concern about these events sending the wrong message. Meaning, some will go away with the wrong idea about pit bulls from seeing them compete in springpole/gripping events. In my estimation, these are fair concerns. However, I have never been one to shy away from the fact that pit bulls are at their essence "gripping dogs."


The concerns that would arise from uneducated and confused observers could be dealt with very easily. In the grand scheme of things, these types of events are great venues for educating the public about our dogs and why they excel at things like weight pulling and vertical climbs - something that is badly needed in the US and Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

100% of the profits are used to support RAAP programs
___________________________

Why Pit bulls?

As I work to provide positive, rational, and balanced information about pit bulls, and the virtues of dogs in general, I am often (read: ALWAYS) asked why I am so taken by this breed of dog. It is a fair question that isn't always asked in a reasonable manner.

In short, I find many pit bulls to posses the qualities that I value in a canine companion: great with friendly people, loyal, goofy, energetic, athletic, intelligent, and willing. To be sure, the run-of-the-mill pit bull is a lot of dog. It is all of these qualities in a medium-sized dog that has me so taken by pit bulls.

Alas, there are many aspects of pit bull ownership that are less enjoyable. Namely, dealing with the many negative stereotypes, and the constant battle to balance the mis-information provided by the breed's detractors.
...thankfully, it only takes is a few minutes of lovin' from my doggies and I am reminded they're worth the effort.

I hope this blog gives others insight into my life with pit bulls, and most of all, provides information on the breed in general; there are a lot of misinformed generalizations about these dogs.

Please contact me with questions or comments pertaining to dogs, pit bulls, BSL, etc..

All the best,

Donovan McBee
nobslnm@yahoo.com


And don't forget to visit my other blog, No BSL NM.



The HSUS attempted to fund raise for the care of Micheal Vick's dogs, while at the same time suggesting that the dogs needed to be killed.

And to add insult to injury, they weren't even planning on taking possesion of the dogs.

Contact the HSUS and tell them this is unacceptable!
----------